Sunday 19 June 2016

FMP

FMP


Finalizing the exhibition


19/06/16



Because of the amount of things I have that I planned to put into the exhibition when I was using a space outside, I had to pick and choose what I would actually use since my pieces are now inside spread out across the building. While I am trying to tie the pieces together, I don't want to to use so much of the things I have that it would clutter and take away from the pieces.

Eventually, I settles on using two found items to put into two main pieces, and made some smaller pieces using other items.



The objects I chose to use were an old wheelbarrow that I found behind my building, and a fan cover that had been sprayed pink and left in the building.

I wanted to use these two things because of the colour and because of the theme I have. The fan covering fits into my theme of colour, while the wheelbarrow fits into my found objects theme, and had a raw element to it that fit in with my artist research into Phyllida Barlow. The second piece was inspired by a piece from my recent visit to the NTU Exhibition show.

The wheelbarrow I had decided to tilt at an angle and fill wit plaster so that it had different shapes in it, but so that it also had a contrast of clean white and old layers of whatever materials had previously been in it. As an after though, I decided to put a chain I had found into the plaster so that it would set straight up, and so that I could later hang the chain.


The piece with the fan covering is very rough, similar to the wheelbarrow, but because of the colours I have used, it is a lot less raw, even though the texture of the materials are visible. I like the way that the piece has slouched slightly during the application of the plaster, and I like the fact that the colour of the plaster is still visible through the paint. 
Once the sculpture is fully dry, I will clean of any excess plaster from the fan covering.


Lastly, because I had a bowl of dried plaster lying around that I didn't want to waste, I decided to make a hanging sculpture out of it. 
Initially, I was going to make another half to it so that it was a globe of plaster, however, after trying to push something through the middle to hang the first half, I realized it would be impractical.
To get the hanging thing through it properly, I had to make a pilot hole through the middle, which meant using a screw and a screw driver, because I didn't have anything long enough, however, eventually, I made the hole and was able to push the rod trough properly and seal it using a washer and a bolt under the bottom of the piece. 
Using some old nails I had found around the building, I knocked them in without following any particular pattern, making sure that all spaces were equally filled,

I didn't want this one piece to be on its own, so I made another using what objects I had found over the course of the project.






No comments:

Post a Comment