Monday 13 June 2016

Generating Fine Art Ideas

Generating Fine Art Ideas


Colour Experimentation


13/06/16



Within the college building entrance, we were given the task to create a piece that could be used for posters to promote the end of year exhibition. Since this also fits in with what I am doing, I experimented with different ways of applying paint in a manner that was more controlled than just throwing paint bombs at the wall. 


Originally, the piece was started by the first years of the art department and was to be built on top of by both the year two's and the foundations because of the lack of composition.

The piece they had done was especially dark, so our task was to not only add some composition, but to lighten it as well. And because there were a lot of gaps where there was no colour, we also had to fill them in more.

The main colours that we used were white and purple, with a few other colours mixed in.

At first I started applying the paint by spraying it straight from the bottle in arches, after that, I started experimenting with straight edges, and seeing how pouring paint onto something and then removing the object would look. I used a mixture of white paint and sand for one of the experiments, and another of just watered down white paint. 
After a while, the colours of other paints that were already on the wall started to seep into the white paint and turn it a different colour.

After trying this technique, I had a lot of paint left over on my hands, so I flicked it on the wall. I really liked the effect, so I started doing this to fill any darker areas or empty areas.
Eventually this turned into handfuls of paint, which were applied more in some places than others, and after that, we did the same with purple paint.
Lastly I went in with some orange paint to add in more colour.


My favourite part of the piece is where there is more white paint in one area than in the others, mainly because the other colours that were already on the wall had started to melt into the white and give it a nice watercolour affect. The old piece is still visible through the heavily layered on white. This exposure makes it obvious that we were building on top of something.


If I were to do tis again, I would experiment more with other colours and ways to apply the colours, and would also experiment with applying other materials, such as plaster, more sand, and paper mixed with glue and water.

No comments:

Post a Comment